The Midsummer Morris
 
Spring Grove Morris Men's biennial celebration of Morris Dancing held in Twickenham

 
Dancing in the chequre’d shade:
Till the live long daylight fail;
Then to the spicy nut-brown ale.

John Milton
1608 - 1674


From 1507 to the mid-1800s Kingston Parish, the historical patch of Kingston's Morris Men, included the minor town of Richmond and Twickenham village.  With the division of the parish into two, Kingston upon Thames and Richmond upon Thames, The Spring Grove Morris Men cross the river north from the big city to their historical northern dancing grounds for the Midsummer Morris.
 
The next Midsummer Morris will be held in 2015 on Thursday 25th June when we will be based in Twickenham for the full evening as part of Twickenham's summer festival.

The Following sides will be attending:
  • Ewell St Mary's Morris Men
  • Kingston Morris
  • London Pride Morris Men
  • Spring Grove Morris Men (hosts)
  • Thames Valley Morris Men
  • Yateley Morris Men

The sides attending are split into two tours, one starts at The Fox, the other at The White Swan.  At 8:45 pm we all move on to the Barmy Arms.  Once we finish dancing a buffet is served courtesy of Spring Grove and we sing and play to round off the evening.

 
Schedule
8.00pm The Fox, Church Street, Twickenham TW1 3NR
    with Ewell and Kingston

8.00pm The White Swan, Riverside, Twickenham, TW1 3DN
    with London Pride, Spring Grove, Thames Valley and Yateley

9:00pm The Barmy Arms, The Embankment, Twickenham, TW1 3DU 
    with all sides
 
 
 
 Twickenham Riverside
 
Click the picture of Twickenham Riverside for a larger view.
 
At the heart of Twickenham is an 18th century village where St Mary's 15th century rag-stone tower sits next to a modern town centre.

The White Swan
The original deeds date the pub back to 1640 making The White Swan the oldest pub in Twickenham.  It is still a simple traditional pub building that remains relatively untouched.

The Fox
The Fox has been at the heart of a vibrant Twickenham community for over 300 years, it is steeped in local history and first mentioned in the Sion Manor Court Books dated October 1700, by it’s previous name The Bell. It changed it’s name to The Fox around 1749.


 
The Barmy Arms
 
The Barmy Arms is an 18th century pub that was renamed from the Queen's Head Inn in 1977 after over 250 years celebrating Queen Anne (1665-1714).  The pub had became notorious for the strange behaviour of the "barmy" landlord and acquired its eponymous name.